Aquarius was established in 1977 to run three residential services as part of a Birmingham University research project, to look at developing new and effective interventions for people with alcohol problems.
At Aquarius we strive to help people overcome the harms caused by alcohol, drugs and gambling. We work closely with individuals, families and friends to lessen the impact caused by the behaviour of a loved one. Overcoming an addiction can be a difficult process but you can be sure that our staff will be dedicated to giving you and your family the attention and support that you need. We will be there to help you with each step of your journey along the way to recovery and to help you look forward to the future with the confidence that change is possible.
Our theoretical framework is based within the social ecological model enabling us to see the issue of problematic alcohol, drug or gambling use not just as an individual problem but one that impacts on families, communities and society. The Aquarius approach includes elements of Personal Skills Training (PST) which is based in a cognitive behavioural approach and was developed through our original research project. The main concepts that underpin our methodology are:
• That people use substances to cope with a variety of problems,
• That people are responsible for thoughts, feelings and actions and are capable of change,
• That people can change given the right support and alternatives to drinking.
What We Do
- Offer a free and confidential service.
- Provide alcohol advice and information.
- Offer one to one support or group sessions.
- Refer to detox and/or rehabilitation service if necessary.
- Provide support for affected family members.
- Provide information on other services which can help you
How We Do It
We meet you at our premises, in our clinic at a hospital or at a suitable community venue. Together we can draw up an agreed support plan to help with your alcohol issues and other needs and with your permission we can also work with others concerned with your care
Where we work
We work all across the Midlands, for further information about each of our services and details about the opening times and office addresses please click here
We always welcome comments, compliments and complaints about our services. If you would like to, you can complete your feedback online by clicking here. Alternatively if you would prefer to fill the survey out by hand please print it off here and return to our head office.