When can you class yourself as recovered?

Login

Not a member?

Register now...

• Name

• Contact Info

• About Yourself

Home Forums Aquarius Forum When can you class yourself as recovered?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Richard Allen 5 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Aquarius

Is there a point you reach when you know you are no longer an ‘addict’ or is recovery something which is not a point you reach but a mindset that you will always be recovering?
    – discuss

Terence Sweeney
    Participant

Hi my name is Terry. In reply to your query, I have been in recovery for nearly 3 years now and will always be in “Recovery”.
    If you look at the cycle of change there is part of it that is called maintenance. This is where I will be for the rest of my life and you could swap the term Recovery for Maintenance.

Richard Allen
    Participant

Interesting question Isabel. One of which may need a lot more peoples input.

One of the first things I first liked about the Aquarius meeting’s, was that you weren’t labelled in any way. The Americans are great at wanting to label everything. There was none of this, “I am Richard, and I’m an Alcoholic”. You don’t have to be an Alcoholic in order to have a drink problem, and because it’s a personal problem (the problem belongs to YOU) only you can really deal with it. The fact that you’re seeking an answer to this question at all means that like so many of us, that you yourself have identified that you have a problem in the first place, and also want to deal with it.

Some people like to call an Alcohol related issue a disease. I personally don’t believe this, as diseases can be cured. Problems on the other hand can’t be cured, but they can be managed and dealt with, either with the help of others, or finding a way to deal with it yourself and learn to move on. There are just so many reasons as to why a person turns to alcohol in the first place. It could be due to a situation of which you had no control over or just looking for an escape. In this case, you need to draw a line in the sand and try to move on.
    There’s nothing we can do about all our yesterdays, as they are all behind us. However, we can do something about our today, and all of our tomorrows. It’s our choice.

Isabel I hope this all makes some sort of sense. But sadly in answer to your question, “When can you class yourself as recovered”. May my stupidity be a warning to others, even though I no longer drink at all, I do have Cirrhosis of the Liver? And for my part my liver shall never fully recover.

Kind Regards

Richard Allen
    Participant

Interesting question Isabel. One of which may need a lot more peoples input.

One of the first things I first liked about the Aquarius meeting’s, was that you weren’t labelled in any way. The Americans are great at wanting to label everything. There was none of this, “I am Richard, and I’m an Alcoholic”. You don’t have to be an Alcoholic in order to have a drink problem, and because it’s a personal problem (the problem belongs to YOU) only you can really deal with it. The fact that you’re seeking an answer to this question at all means that like so many of us, that you yourself have identified that you have a problem in the first place, and also want to deal with it.

Some people like to call an Alcohol related issue a disease. I personally don’t believe this, as diseases can be cured. Problems on the other hand can’t be cured, but they can be managed and dealt with, either with the help of others, or finding a way to deal with it yourself and learn to move on. There are just so many reasons as to why a person turns to alcohol in the first place. It could be due to a situation of which you had no control over or just looking for an escape. In this case, you need to draw a line in the sand and try to move on.
    There’s nothing we can do about all our yesterdays, as they are all behind us. However, we can do something about our today, and all of our tomorrows. It’s our choice.

Isabel I hope this all makes some sort of sense. But sadly in answer to your question, “When can you class yourself as recovered”. May my stupidity be a warning to others, even though I no longer drink at all, I do have Cirrhosis of the Liver? And for my part my liver shall never fully recovered.

Kind Regards

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.