This week is Safer Gambling Week and all week we will be raising awareness about the harms caused by gambling, sharing tips on how to gamble safely, and signposting people to support avenues.
Our Aquarius Gambling Services deliver support to adults in the Midlands for people over 16 years of age through our partnership with GamCare. We provide support, information, and advice to anyone suffering with the harms caused by gambling, as well as to family members and friends affected by someone else’s gambling. We also offer support for young people struggling with gambling.
Why is Safer Gambling Week important?
- The Gambling Commission recently reported that overall participation in any gambling activity between March 2020 and March 2021 significantly increased to 43%.
- YouGov estimates 2.7% of adults in Great Britain (nearly 1.4 million people) are problem gamblers.
- 7% of adults (3.6 million people) report having been negatively affected by someone else’s gambling problem.
- Overall, YouGov research suggests that nearly 5 million British people have experienced harm linked to gambling.
- 43% of callers into GamCare mentioned impacts on their mental wellbeing last year, including anxiety, stress, depression, isolation and even suicidal thoughts and feelings.
What’s taking place this week?
- On our Aquarius social media we’ll be sharing top tips and advice about safer gambling from our team of expert practitioners.
- We’ll be signposting to our support avenues right here at Aquarius.
- Our staff will be out and about this week across the Midlands sharing advice, raising awareness and talking to people about the services we offer at Aquarius. We look forward to sharing their whereabouts throughout the week!
To keep up to date with us this Safer Gambling Week make sure you follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page. To find out more about our gambling support services at Aquarius, click here.